Tuesday, December 24, 2013
I won’t comment on Jonathan’s reply – Obasanjo
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on
Monday said he would not reply President
Goodluck Jonathan’s December 20 letter
accusing him of threatening national security.
Obasanjo, who addressed a news conference
through his media aide, Tunde Oladunjoye,at
his Hilltop Mansion in Abeokuta, Ogun State,
said in spite of requests by Nigerian and
international media for him to reply the
President, he would still maintain his
“serenity.”
But he made it clear that he had through his
December 2,2013 letter to Jonathan, done his
duty to the President, the Peoples Democratic
Party and the nation, as a former President
and an elder statesman.
Obasanjo, had in his 18-page letter titled
“Before it is too late,” accused the President,
among other things, of placing 1,000 Nigerians
on a watch list and training snipers to
assassinate his political opponents.
He had added that Jonathan’s actions were
capable of derailing the country’s democracy.
But the President replied Obasanjo on Sunday,
claiming that his letter was full of lies
against him and his administration.
In a tone indicating that he was highly pained
by the former President’s letter, Jonathan
wrote, “The allegation of training snipers to
assassinate political opponents is particularly
incomprehensible to me. Since I started my
political career as a Deputy Governor, I have
never been associated with any form of
political violence.
“Regarding the over 1,000 people you said
are on a political watch list, I urge you to
kindly tell Nigerians who they are and what
agencies of government are ‘watching’ them.
“Your allegation that I am using security
operatives to harass people is also baseless.
Nigerians are waiting for your proof. That was
an accusation made against previous
administrations, including yours, but it is
certainly not my style and will never be. Again,
if you insist on the spurious claim that some of
your relatives and friends are being harassed,
I urge you to name them and tell Nigerians
what agencies of my administration are
harassing them.”
He went on to add that the letter by
Obasanjo also suggested to him that
landmines had been laid for him.
But Obasanjo told journalists in a two-page
statement read by Oladunjoye , a former
deputy governorship candidate of the Peoples
Democratic Party in Ogun State, that he had
resolved not to make further comments on
either his letter or Jonathan’s.
Immediately after reading the statement
titled, ‘Re: Before It Is Too Late,’ he rose
from his seat, declining to entertain questions
from the journalists.
The statement reads,” Since the publication
of the letter written by the President,
Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of
the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Dr. Goodluck
Ebele Jonathan, GCFR, which was in response
to the letter earlier written by former
President, Commander-in-Chief, Chief
Olusegun Obasanjo, GCFR; we have received
several enquiries from local and international
media asking to know Chief Obasanjo’s
reaction to Mr. President’s response.
“One, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, GCFR,
acknowleges Mr. President’s letter/response.
However, Baba, as he already indicated in his
December 2, 2013 letter does not wish to
make further comments beyond the contents
of his last letter to Mr. President or react to
the said letter/response from Dr. Jonathan.
Let me quote from page 14, paragraph two of
Chief Obasanjo’s letter to Mr. President
dated December 2, 2013 and titled Before It
is Too Late: “I will maintain my serenity,
because by this letter, I have done my duty to
you as I have always done, to your government,
to the PDP, and to our country, Nigeria.
“Two, let me reiterate here, that Chief
Obasanjo has tremendous respect for the
office of the President of the Federal
Republic of Nigeria.”
Oladunjoye added that Obasanjo “sincerely
appreciates all of you, my cherished
colleagues; gentlemen and women of the media
profession, who have been very upright, ethical
and robust on the subject matter.”
Obasanjo’s claim that Jonathan was playing
politics with the Africa Development Bank
and World Bank Rivers State water project in
Rivers State was however supported by
Governor Rotimi Amaechi during a rally by the
All Progressives Congress at the Liberation
Stadium in Port Harcourt.
“If they tell us that it is the ADB, tell them I
said it is both ADB and the World Bank. We
have completed everything we need to
complete. They don’t want to sign, they want
you and I to die of hunger,” Amaechi told APC
supporters.
He added, “I will not lie, I drink table water.
So the best I can do for you and the best your
President can do for you is to ask the World
Bank about the water project.
“All those that say they want South-South
President, I agree, you want South-South
President. If a South-South President refuses
to give you water, you can still sweep him out.
Let him tell us what project he has done for
us.”
Meanwhile, two Northern groups – the Arewa
Consultative Forum and the Coalition of
Northern Politicians, Academics, Professionals
and Businessmen – have differed on
Jonathan’s reply to Obasanjo’s letter.
While the ACF said Jonathan’s reply had
given Nigerians an opportunity to judge, the
CNPAPB said it was a poor attempt to respond
to ‘very serious’ issues raised by a former
President of the country.
The ACF spokesman, Mr. Anthony Sani, in an
interview with one of our correspondents,
however expressed reservations about the
open nature of the altercations between the
two Nigerian leaders.
Sani said, “I have read both letters and wish
to state that such open altercations be
avoided in favour of confidential
correspondence, especially when regard is paid
to their personal and political relationships
which have profound effect on the pace of
development of the Nigerian project.
“But since the genie has been let out of the
bottle, it is good that Mr. President has
replied the letter. It is now left for Nigerians
to pass their judgment in the larger interest
of Nigeria.”
However, the Convener of the CNPAPB, Dr.
Junaid Mohammed, cautioned Nigerians
against taking their eyes off the issues made
public by Obasanjo.
Mohammed said, “If Nigerians decide to take
their eyes off the ball until this issue becomes
serious, then we have ourselves to blame.
“In addition, one of the inadequacies of the
latter by the President is that it was unlike
Obasanjo’s.
“Jonathan’s letter is more of a civil service
draft- a combination of all sorts of
contributions by half-baked politicians,
mediocre civil servants and journalistic thugs
in the service of the President.
“Whether Obasanjo is liked or not; is beside
the point, let Nigerians insist that issues
raised by Obasanjo in his letter be properly
addressed.”
The medical doctor turned politician said the
allegation that the Jonathan administration
was training snipers must not be glossed over.
But the Ijaw National Congress said that
Obasanjo should open up on the training of
snipers.
Lauding the President’s reply, it said that
Nigerians could not be deceived by Obasanjo.
The INC spokesman, Mr. Victor Borubo, also
said that Obasanjo was not in a position to
advise Jonathan on whether or not to run for
the Presidency in 2015.
He said, “President Jonathan is trying his
best to develop the country. Obasanjo should
not forget that the PDP crisis did not start
with Jonathan. Nigerians cannot be deceived
by his letter.
“Obasanjo is claiming that Jonathan promised
to go for only one term as President, but he
(Jonathan) has told his critics to produce
evidence that he made such a promise.”
Also on Monday, a former Governor of
Bayelsa State, Chief Diepreye
Alamieyeseigha, appealed to Jonathan and
Obasanjo to close ranks and proffer solutions
to the country’s challenges.
Alamieyeseigha told journalists in Yenagoa
that even though Obasanjo’s motive for
making the letter public was unclear, the
issues he raised in it were weighty and should
not be ignored.
“The advice, through a letter to President
Jonathan, no doubt is coming from a respected
person who has ruled the country both as a
military head of state and a two-time
president of a democratic government,” the
News Agency of Nigeria quoted the former
governor as saying.
“We can concede to him (Obasanjo). He has
the in-depth knowledge of governance; he has
seen it all; and so a letter coming from him
should not be taken on the face value,’’ he
advised.
Alamieyeseigha noted that leadership and
nation-building were responsibilities that
required the input of various stakeholders.
“President Jonathan is not a super human, so if
the country is drifting in the eyes of objective
and patriotic persons in the country, they can
come out and proffer solutions after
identifying the problems.’’ he said.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment